Friday, 28 September 2012

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter - REVIEW

Alice in Zombieland
(White Rabbit Chronicles #1)
by Gena Showalter
Published: 25th September 2012
Synopsis from Goodreads:

She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….

Alice in Zombieland - Review


I'd heard good things about this book so I went in with fairly high expectations, thankfully it did not disappoint.


The main character was Ali Bell and she was one very strong chick. After all the things she'd been through  and all the crazy thoughts and emotions zipping through her head, she still knew how to kick-butt! She was stubborn and tough and had a sharp tongue, all the qualities I like in a fine, young woman. Ali knew how to think for herself and she was both smart and resilient. All this made me like her quite a lot and I really enjoyed her as a character.


Cole, is the bad boy of this piece and he is mighty fine. The scenes between him and Ali are very hot and I could almost feel steam rising form the pages. Cole was a bad boy, not hesitating to use his fists to solve an argument, but he was also really sweet. At least when it came to Ali. The little gentlemanly things he did seemed contrast to his tough, mean exterior, but they suited him well.


Another of my favourite characters was Kat. Like Ali, I wasn't 100% sure of her at first but the more time I spent with her the cooler she became. She was really fun and loyal and by the end of the book she was super-awesome in my eyes.


Now onto the zombies... I really, really liked them! I've only read a couple of zombie books but I wasn't very fond of them. All that munching on people seems a bit too much. Reading about creatures who like to eat your flesh doesn't sound particularly appealing and I think Gena has done a fantastic job in re-creating the zombie. They're still unattractive, smell bad and have an insatiable hunger, but instead of just being mindless monsters, these creatures are evil. They're not just hideous blobs of rotting flesh, these zombies are made of evil and you can really feel passionate about hating them.

Alice in Zombieland is a great book. All the aspects of this story mesh together really well and it had a nice balance of light and dark elements. The romance is hot, the characters are lovable (or hateable in some cases) and the zombies are beautifully crafted evil.

4.5/5 Whales



 


11 comments:

  1. I was really looking forward to this! First for the cover then I read the synopsis and fell in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover/synopsis really draw you in and luckily the book didn't let me down. It was really good!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I've been seeing a lot of really good reviews for it so I think I might need to pick up a copy. Happy reading!

    New Follower

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you loved this one. Thanks so much for linking up to Hot Off the Presses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. :)
      Thanks for including Pieces of Whimsy in your blog post!

      Delete
  4. Good review. I still haven't read this book and I need to because I like Alice in Wonderland remakes. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, this book has been sitting on my shelf since a month after its release and I still have not read it. I was initially waiting until all of the books in the series released, and now? I have no idea why in the world I have not read it. I think I really need to rectify that situation soon. It is definitely a book that I think I would enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting title and synopsis! Definitely looking forward to read this book! :) Great review, btw x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been here good things about this book, but I'm not a zombie fan so I'm not sure I would like it. The whole eating brains and zombie always cover in blood, not really my thing. But you review is great, I may change my mind, but as of right now; still not sure about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review, I've seen this book about and it peaked my interest, however I've never got around to reading it. Not into Zombies, however I really need to get out of my book comfort zone...this one is now high on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete