Sunday, 21 October 2012

Falling to Ash by Karen Mahoney - REVIEW

Falling to Ash
(Moth #1)
by Karen Mahoney
Published 27th September 2012
Synopsis from Goodreads:


You can’t choose your family... living or dead.

Trapped between two very different worlds, newly made vampire Moth is struggling to find her place in either. Not only does she have to answer to her strict Irish-Catholic Dad, but her over-protective maker, Theo, is intent on making her the star attraction in his powerful Boston vampire clan. Moth will have to pull off the double-act of the century to please both of them...

Adding to her problems is the dangerously attractive Jason Murdoch, a trainee vampire hunter who loves to play cat and mouse in his spare time. But when the teenagers of Boston’s wealthiest families start to disappear, it forces Moth and Jace into an uneasy truce. Will they be able to solve the mystery behind the disappearances—before someone winds up undead?


Falling to Ash by Karen Mahoney - Review


I read a couple of the Moth novellas quite a while ago and always wanted to read more of Moth's story. I hoped the author would decide to write a novel based on Moth and imagine my surprise when I won this book, having had no idea what it was about!

I was excited to read this book and was even more excited to learn that Jason was going to be in it. Moth and Jason's first encounter in this book was very action-filled and exciting but after that my enthusiasm at having Jason dwindled. I found myself feeling quite frustrated with him, not all the time but a large majority of it. He could be cute and sweet or cool and charming but he could also be whiny and annoying. Not being able to stand up to his dad, or be confident in himself/his feelings got to me a little and diminished Jason's awesomeness.

I liked Moth and the relationship with her sister and family/families. Moth was smart and resilient and I thought she was a good main character. She had a great ability to think on her feet and she had a good sense of family loyalty and love. Moth's relationship with her maker was a little strange and I couldn't figure out if I liked the guy or hated him, though for a vampire I think he was a pretty good guy and I think the strange relationship is a universal one for a vampire and their maker.

I really liked the revenants and the idea behind how they were created. I thought the idea was very cool and creative and it was one of the things I really liked about this story.

I liked this story and would read the next book but I'm not going to rush to the store the second the next book comes out. For me, there was something missing from the story and it didn't quite grab me and pull me in the way I'd hoped it would. I still enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone especially if you have a taste for vampire/paranormal books.

3/5 Whales
  

2 comments: