Sunday, 21 October 2012

Judging a Book by It's Cover [2]

Hallowed
by Cynthia Hand
Published January 2012
I've decided to change this slightly from how I'd originally planned. Instead of showing new releases with pretty covers I shall go through my bookcases, book piles and borrowed books and showcase a book which I bought/picked up purely based on it's cover. I know it's a bad thing to do but sometime's a cover just grabs you, plus I'm always a little worried that if I look at the books blurb it'll tell me the first half of the book! Anyway, getting back to the post...

I bought this book a couple of months ago, when the local Book City closed down. They had a massive liquidation sale and I got several amazing books, Hallowed was one of them. I haven't read it yet, still need to get the first one but when I saw it I just had to buy it. I'd seen it around a bit and I really wanted to add it to my growing collection especially as it looks so good! I still don't know what it's about, I don't want to accidently stumble upon any spoilers before I've read Unearthly, so this book was purely bought on how it looked. (Shame on me!)

I love the white, the snow and the dress really give off a feel of cold/winter. The red hair is absolutely gorgeous. It really stands out amongst the various shades of white and grey. I like the font and the wavy, wispy, floral bits at the bottom matching the misty haze at the top of the cover. The overall effect is rather brilliant and ties in well with the other books in the series. The only thing I don't love is the quotes from other authors, but that is only a minor thing and doesn't ruin the greatness of the cover.

Other covers in the series:

Unearthly (Unearthly #1):
Published January 2011


Hallowed (Unearthly #2):
Published January 2012



Boundless (Unearthly #3):
Expected publication: January 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment