Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Teaser Tuesday [3]

Hosted by MizB at Should be Reading

The Hobbit
by J.R.R. Tolkien
First Published 1937
This edition: 2nd November 1998
"'That would be no good, ' said the wizard, 'not without a mighty Warrior, even a Hero. I tried to find one; but warriors are busy fighting one another in distant lands, and in this neighbourhood heroes are scarce, or simply not to be found.'"

~ Pg. 35-36, The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien




Poetical Works of Alfred Lord Tennyson
This edition published: 1899

"On either side the river lie
Long fields of barley and of rye,
That clothe the wold and meet the sky;
And thro' the field the road runs by
          To many-tower'd Camelot;
And up and down the people go,
Gazing where the lillies blow
Round an island there below,
          The island of Shalott."

~ Excerpt from The Lady of Shalott, pg. 28

I had to include this because I love Tennyson and The Lady of Shalott is my favourite poem. It's just beautiful!

12 comments:

  1. :D I love you!

    Is this what you were doing today? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing those teasers! This is the second one I've read today from The Hobbit. Perhaps I should grab that book?!
    Here's mine: I love Dan Brown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm part of Sawcat's The Hobbit read-a-long and I think there are a couple of other read-a-longs going on too as part of the lead up to the movie. :)

      Delete
  3. I think there are heroes all around us--teachers, servicemen and women, firemen, policemen, moms and dads. My dad was my hero. Good teasers!

    Here's ours: http://www.ourstack.blogspot.com/2012/10/tuesday-teasers-thriller-and-juvenile.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone's a hero in someone's eyes. Even if you don't realise it, there may have been something you did that really saved another person.

      Delete
  4. I love the fact that anyone can become a hero, even if he/she isn't a warrior. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew THE HOBBIT had been around for a while, but I didn't realize it was published over 70 years ago! Still a good story. Thank you for the lines from "The Lady of Shallot." Lovely.
    My teaser is from CONFESSIONS OF A CORPORATE SLUT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like a crazy lot of time ago!
      I had to share some of Tennyson's poetry in the hope that others find it beautiful too.

      Delete