Monday, 26 November 2012

Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr - REVIEW

Carnival of Souls
by Melissa Marr
Publication Date: 4th September
Synopsis from Goodreads:

In a city of daimons, rigid class lines separate the powerful from the power-hungry. And at the heart of The City is the Carnival of Souls, where both murder and pleasure are offered up for sale. Once in a generation, the carnival hosts a deadly competition that allows every daimon a chance to join the ruling elite. Without the competition, Aya and Kaleb would both face bleak futures--if for different reasons. For each of them, fighting to the death is the only way to try to live.


All Mallory knows of The City is that her father--and every other witch there--
fled it for a life in exile in the human world. Instead of a typical teenage life full of friends and maybe even a little romance, Mallory scans quiet streets for threats, hides herself away, and trains to be lethal. She knows it's only a matter of time until a daimon finds her and her father, so she readies herself for the inevitable. While Mallory possesses little knowledge of The City, every inhabitant of The City knows of her. There are plans for Mallory, and soon she, too, will be drawn into the decadence and danger that is the Carnival of Souls.

From Melissa Marr, bestselling author of the Wicked Lovely series and "Graveminder," comes a brand-new tale of lush secrets, dark love, and the struggle to forge one's own destiny.


Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr - Review

Carnival of Souls is a new book by Melissa Marr. It was supposed to be a standalone but Melissa said that there was going to be at least one more book which is good because other wise that ending would've been super-sucky.

The book takes places in two different worlds, the human world and the daimon world, and follows the lives of Aya, Kaleb and Mallory. There are two different magical species, Daimons and Witches and both hate each other. Witches live in the human world because any found in The City (daimon world) are killed or enslaved. Mallory lives with her 'father', a witch, in the human world while Kaleb and Aya live in The City though both visit the human world on occasion.

I really liked the idea of the book with the Carnival of Souls and the different ranking systems in The City. Having Mallory grow up knowing practically nothing with everyone else being almost fully aware of what was happening was interesting but following three different characters and all their separate thoughts/plans/motives got a bit much at times. This is also a very hectic book with a lot of different things going on leaving the reader with a lot to take in.

The ending was also quite sudden. Things unfolded very quickly and then they just stopped. It was like the book had been going at a pretty fast jog then at the end it madly sprinted before running right into a brick wall and stopping completely. I know there's more of the story to come but the ending didn't really leave me hanging for more and it kind of lost me.

Just before I finish I think I have to mention the relationship between Kaleb and Mallory. At first I thought it was alright and sometimes a little cute but by the end of the book I mainly thought it was creepy. They love each other but don't really know anything about one another and some of the stuff Kaleb does is just a little too creepy for me. I'm interested to see what they're relationship is like and Mallory's reactions in the next book.

I liked this book but I didn't think it was amazing. I would recommend it to fans of Melissa Marr and people who enjoy dark, magical tales. All-in-all it was a fairly good book but it just didn't grab me in the way I'd hoped.


3/5 Whales


2 comments:

  1. I'm just in the mood for reading dark, magical tales, and I hope I'll like it. It's been on my TBR list for ages. it's time to read it, finally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I like this author. ;)

    ReplyDelete