Wednesday, 19 December 2012

Waiting on Wednesday [12]

Hosted by Breaking the Spine

Canary
by Rachele Alpine
Expected Publication: 28th August 2013

From Goodreads:


Staying quiet will destroy her, but speaking up will destroy everyone.

Kate Franklin’s life changes for the better when her dad lands a job at Beacon Prep, an elite private school with one of the best basketball teams in the state. She begins to date a player on the team and quickly gets caught up in a world of idolatry and entitlement, learning that there are perks to being an athlete. 

But those perks also come with a price. Another player takes his power too far and Kate is assaulted at a party. Although she knows she should speak out, her dad’s vehemently against it and so, like a canary sent into a mine to test toxicity levels and protect miners, Kate alone breathes the poisonous secrets to protect her dad and the team. The world that Kate was once welcomed into is now her worst enemy, and she must decide whether to stay silent or expose the corruption, destroying her father’s career and bringing down a town’s heroes.

Canary is told in a mix of prose and verse.




I love the title of this book, it's what first drew me in, then reading the synopsis, I was hooked. I also want to read it because it's written in prose & verse which is a fairly new thing for me and I think it would be right up my alley.

What are you waiting on this week?

5 comments:

  1. I haven't heard about this one, but it looks great. Have you read The Mockingbirds? It has a similar theme of speaking up about abuses, and it is fabulous.
    Here is my WoW pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of this one, but I really don't like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I like the mix of poetry and prose. Thanks for pointing it ou.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for featuring CANARY this week! I'm excited for you to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! This book...it sounds intense and it's a contemporary in prose :O I SO NEED to read this & the wait is gonna kill me. Great WoW pick Myra!

    -Keep on rocking,
    Lisseth @ Read-A-holicZ [My WoW]

    ReplyDelete