Thursday, 31 January 2013

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead - Review

Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1) by Richelle Mead

Title: Bloodlines

Series: Bloodlines #1

Author: Richelle Mead

Published: 23rd August 2011 by Razorbill


Source: Paperback from my bookshelf (Purchased)




Synopsis:

Sydney is an alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of human and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir - the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir - is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the last place anyone would think to look for vampire royalty - a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. But instead of finding safety at Amberwood Prep, Sydney discovers the drama is only just beginning...


Book Links
Goodreads


My Review

I requested The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines #3) from NetGalley to review and was super excited when I was approved! I'd read Bloodlines when it first came out and had been holding off reading The Golden Lily because I wasn't sure I could handle waiting for the next book.

Almost as soon as I'd finished reading Bloodlines the first time I yearned to read it again so rereading it for the release of the new book seemed like the logical (and totally amazing) thing to do. I couldn't wait to emerse myself in the VA/Bloodlines world again and push further into the story!

Okay, first things first: Sydney and Adrian. I love them a their friendship and their relationship and I just can't get enough of the Sydney-Adrian scenes! I have different feelings towards them as I do to Rose and Dimitri (from Vampire Academy). I wanted Rose and Dimitri to be together, but more than that I wanted Dimitri to climb out of the pages and claim his undying love for me. With Sydney and Adrian, I don't just want them to be together, I need them to be together. They're perfect for each other and I love them! Adrian is no less sexy and amazing than Dimitri, but if he climbed from the book I'd send him right beck to Sydney. I love reading about their relationship and refuse for him (or her) to be with anyone else. Ever.

I really liked learning more about the Alchemists, especially seeing how strong/deep their feeling for Vampires ran. Being in Sydney's mind gave me a new insight into how the Alchemists work and how their ideals are enforced and disciplined, etc. I was also very interested in the 're-education centre', the place where naughty Alchemists go. I really want to read more of it, up close and personal!

Richelle Mead's books are so addictive! The worlds she creates, the characters she develops, the ideas she brings to life.. they're all so wonderful that if I could, I would climb inside her books and live there! Bloodlines was just as fantastic as the Vampire Academy series and I was super excited when I learnt she was creating a companion series for VA. Bloodlines was a brilliant start to this new series and not to give anything away but.. the rest of the books are just as amazing and wonderful!


5/5 Whales!


4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to start this. I'm reading Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness and I love to read and learn more about alchemy, the mysterious science. And of course, vampires - never enough! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I don't usually like vampire books, but this one was good. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    The romance sounds nice, but what would you say makes this book stand out from all the other YA Paranormal Romances out there? Is the love story put in a larger context?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review you have there. I also read this one, and it was a blast. Great series after the Vampire Academy. I admire Sydney, and Adrian is just...dreamy. :D

    ReplyDelete