Thursday, 3 January 2013

Dark Seraphine by KaSonndra Leigh - REVIEW

Dark Seraphine (Dark Seraphine #1) by KaSonndra Leigh


Title: Dark Seraphine

 Series: Dark Seraphine #1

 Author:  KaSonndra Leigh

 Published: 21st October 2012 by TriGate Press


 Source: Copy from the author for an honest review





Synopsis:


"Mom always says the angels walk among us. She forgot to tell me that sometimes they're not all fluffy and nice."

Seventeen-year-old Caleb Wood has seen people he calls the walkers since he was a baby. It didn't take long for him to realize something…no one can see these strangers but him. They never stuck around or tried to touch him. And they never said a word. That was until one day on the first day of class in his senior year when an incredibly gorgeous girl strolls into his life…and things are never the same again.

Soon Caleb realizes he has stepped into the middle of a growing conflict between two ancient groups. And his ability to see the invisible ones, the half-breeds that want to modify the human race, just might be the only hope both he and the mysterious, but infuriating, Gia, have of making it out alive.


*contains mild profanity

Book Links



My Review

Dark Seraphine is the first book in a new series by KaSonndra Leigh and though it took me a while to connect with the book, I eagerly await more.

The idea of the Seraphine and Melusine was quite brilliant. I haven't read many YA books with sea creatures/water beings, so it's always refreshing when I do. I would've liked to know more about them, about their history and what they can do, so I hoping the next instalment will quench my thirst to know more.


The main character was Caleb, and while I really enjoyed reading from the perspective of a guy, it took me a bit to warm up to him. Sometimes the things he was thinking/feeling felt a little odd and put me off. The couple of  references he made in the beginning to the new deodorant he was wearing pulled me out of the story. It was a way of referring to the fact that he was nervous/upset (sweating) but it just didn't seem to work for me. The relationships too, were a little all over the place but they were realistic and portrayed really well a high-school love life.


I really liked the characters' names and how they fit with each character, they really added to the image/personality of each character. Even though you weren't quite sure who was who some of the time (who was good, who was bad, was this person that person, who's that person.. I actually really enjoyed the mystery of it) the name's still worked. I was really pleased about that.

One of my favourite things in the book was Ticky. Ticky was Caleb's little starfish ornament that he was too embarrassed to talk to anyone about but kept it for sentimental reasons. It was what really warmed me up to Caleb, showing me his softer, cute side and I loved it!


Dark Seraphine was an enjoyable read. The plot was good and though the pacing was a little slow in some places, it really picked up towards the end. The story wasn't what I expected, but in a good way and I'm really looking forward to learning more of Erica, Gia and Caleb  both their pasts and their futures.


3.5/5 Whales

2 comments:

  1. Hi Myra,

    Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review my book. I'm glad you enjoyed Caleb and Gia's story.

    All the best,
    KaSonndra Leigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me read it! I had a lot of fun.

      Delete