Monday, 7 January 2013

Judging a Book by It's Cover [7]

I've been neglecting this post for a couple of weeks, too busy doing other things to write it up, but I'm back now and I've changed it up a little and have even got a shiny new image to match! I've also decided to make it fortnightly instead of weekly, so it will be more manageable.




Judging a Book by It's Cover is a fortnightly post where I shall go through my bookcases, book piles and borrowed books and showcase a book which I immediately drew conclusions about based on it's cover. I know it's a bad thing to do but sometime's a cover just grabs you, and sometimes it turns you off a book!


The post will be separated into two main parts, the 'from the cover' part where I'll put down my first thoughts and conclusions about the book purely from the cover and title, and the 'from the book' part which will talk about how I felt after reading a book. Whether the ideas from the cover were right, or if I thought they made me enjoy the book more/less. Just little bits and pieces that I think are relevant at the time.




Halo
(Halo #1)
by Alexandra Adornetto
Publication Date: 31st August 2010

From the cover:


I bought this book pretty much when it came out. I went into a bookstore and there was a row of the books standing there, tempting me with their shiny, new covers. I liked the anonyminity of the characters on the cover, don't get me wrong some of my favourite book covers have people/faces on them but the way the sunlight had turned everything to silhouettes is quite gorgeous.


The yellow was another eye-turner as I haven't seen many book covers with yellow/gold as their main colour. It looked both bright and dark, both cheery and stormy, and so I decided the book must have some of those aspects too.


The feathers were also another gorgeous detail, I especially loved the wispy feathers at the bottom of the wings. I was a little confused about where the wings were coming from, what part of her body they were attached because to me it kind of looked they were sprouting from her lower head/neck, but after staring for a while I did manage (I think) to work out how the figures were placed. 



From the book:


I guessed from the title and cover that the book was about angels, and about romance, so I didn't really bother reading the blurb. I hadn't seen many angel books around, quite a few vampire books but not so much angel, that I'd noticed at least. I was quite excited to read this book, both because of the cover and the new-to-me angel element.


I don't really remember what happened in the book besides a few main plot points because it's been a couple of years since I've read it. I didn't have very strong emotions while reading this book so I didn't really feel the cheery/stormy atmospheres I thought might've been in the book but I still think the cover did a pretty good job of sharing the story.


I've seen lots of mixed reviews for this book, some people loved it while others couldn't stand it, but I didn't have any particular feeling towards this book. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it, I was fine with reading it but I also would've lived if I hadn't. It was just an okay book for me. I don't regret buying the book because even if the story was average for me, the cover looks mighty pretty on my shelf!



Other Books in the Series:




Hades (Halo #2) by Alexandra Adornetto
Publication Date: 30th August 2011


Heaven (Halo #3) by Alexandra Adornetto
Publication Date: 21st August 2012



I'm a little tired so I'm not sure how much sense I'm making, next time I'll be better prepared, with more of an idea of what I'm doing. I was kind of making this post up as I went along but I'm still happy with it!

Night all, I know some of you only would've gotten out of bed a couple of hours ago (that's why I'm still counting it as Sunday!) but it's definitely time I should be sleeping down here. See you in the morning, and be prepared for a giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment