Thursday, 10 January 2013

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang - REVIEW

What's Left of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles #1) by Kat Zhang

Title: What's Left of Me

Series: 
The Hybrid Chronicles #1

Author: Kat Zhang


Published: 
18th September 2012 by HarperCollins

Source: ARC copy from my bookshelf




Synopsis:


I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.



Book Links



My Review

I read this book a couple of months ago and I absolutely loved it! I won the ARC from Jen Ryland which was very exciting as this book placed highly in my OMG-I-HAVE-TO-READ-THIS list. Almost as soon as I got my hands on What's Left of Me I began devouring it!

What's Left of Me is told in the voice of Eva. Eva is Addie's other soul, her sister and Eva is not supposed to exist. In this world everyone is born with two souls. Two different personalities inhabiting the one body and when they're about five years old or so, one of them is supposed to disappear. Eva doesn't and this leads to a wonderful story, with a powerful voice in Eva.

I loved all the characters in this, even the bad guys who you love to hate, though Eva and Addie were my favourites. I loved the relationship between the two sisters. They loved each other but they also kind of hate each other too. I mean, if I put myself in either of their positions I could definitely see myself hating Addie for having control when I don't, or hating Eva for not letting me be normal and putting me in danger. I just loved reading the different emotions entwined within this crazy relationship.

I loved the concept of this book and I was over the moon at how well Kat brought this story to life. If you haven't read this book I would definitely recommend it, especially if you love YA or sci-fi/fantasy type novels. This book left me feeling satisfied but hungering for more. I can't wait to see what else Kat Zhang has in store! 


5/5 Whales

3 comments:

  1. great review!!! I enjoyed this book too and cant wait to read the next one to see how that goes!! It was highly intense and kept me on the edge of my seat.. I have heard many different reviews that were not too great to great...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had very mixed feelings/reactions to this one, but in the end I ended up really liking it. My issue was really the middle of the book. I felt like it lagged a bit, and I found myself getting bored. However, because I did enjoy the beginning of the book, I kept on with it. And once the lag let up, it got so much better. ACTION! Adventure. Some romance. Intrigue. I am really glad I kept going! I haven't read the sequels yet, but I absolutely plan to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one it's such a great story
    I particularly enjoyed the relationship between Eva and Addie as well
    just too bad that I haven't read the rest of the series (kind of stuck)

    ReplyDelete