Wednesday, 20 February 2013

The Breakaway & Pieces by Michelle Davidson Argyle Blog Tour - Reviews

The Breakaway (The Breakaway #1) by Michelle Davidson Argyle


Title: The Breakaway

Series: The Breakaway #1

Author:  Michelle Davidson Argyle

Published: 1st May 2012

Source: Copy from the author for an honest review



Synopsis:


When Naomi Jensen is kidnapped, it takes her parents two days to realize she’s missing. Escape isn’t high on her list of priorities when all she has to return to is an abusive boyfriend and parents who never paid much attention to her. For the first time in her life she’s part of a family—even if it is a family of criminals. But she’s still a captive. In a desperate attempt to regain some control in her life, Naomi embarks on a dangerous plan to make one of her kidnappers think she’s falling in love with him. The plan works too well, and when faced with the chance to escape, Naomi isn’t sure she wants to take it.


Book Links
Amazon - Barnes & Noble




My Review

I don't normally like to read the synopsis before I start a book, but as I'd already known a few spoilers from the companion novel, Pieces, I thought there'd be no harm. The first couple of lines intrigued me, then the next couple, and the next.. This book sounded so unique to me and I was really looking forward to reading it.


The book centres around Naomi and follows her journey from a distant family and abusive boyfriend into the crazy kidnapping she'd become a part of. Naomi's never felt like a priority to her parents so when her kidnappers start smiling at her, taking an interest in her likes and dislikes, she becomes confused and the lines between right and wrong become a little grey.

I liked Naomi but her helplessness and her warped view of relationships stopped me from loving her. I had a real ride reading from her perspective but while I couldn't always connect with what she was feeling I did understand that coming from the place she'd been, with such a strange sense of 'normal', she'd think very differently from me.

It was very interesting watching the characters grow and change, the many faces of each person. I started to forget that Naomi had been kidnapped, that these people I'd been learning so much about were criminals, much like Naomi did and it really helped me to connect with her more.

I really enjoyed this book and the way the characters were created and how this story was told was incredible. I did understand why/how Naomi could do and think the things she did sometimes but then again I have no idea how I'd react in a situation like that. A different and intriguing read which got me really thinking.


3.5/5 Whales




Pieces  (The Breakaway #2) by Michelle Davidson Argyle

Title: Pieces

Series: The Breakaway #2 (A Companion Novel)

Author:  Michelle Davidson Argyle

Published: 14th February 2013

Source: Copy from the author for an honest review



Synopsis:

Staying in love can mean running away...

Two years after watching her kidnappers go to prison, Naomi Jensen is still in love with one of them. Jesse will be released in a few years, and Naomi knows college is the perfect distraction while she waits. But when her new friend Finn makes her question what is right and what is wrong, she begins to wonder if Jesse is the one for her...until she discovers he's out on parole. Naomi must sort through her confusion to figure out where love and freedom truly lie-in Finn, who has no connections to her past, or Jesse, who has just asked her to run away with him.


Book Links
Amazon - Barnes & Noble


My Review

I wasn't sure where this book was going to go, I mean how do you follow on from a kidnapping? But this book was just as engaging and was a really wonderful, strong story.

This book is only a companion to The Breakaway and can be read separately, but I would recommend reading The Breakaway first as it really adds to the story. It gives you more of a relationship with Naomi, helping you understand why she makes some of the choices she does even though they seem silly and idiotic to us.

I loved Naomi's growth in this book, as she slowly started to shape herself into the person she wanted to become. Another element to this book I really loved was Finn. He was a really amazing guy! He did what was best for Naomi, regardless of what it would do to him and he was a really, really smart guy. He helped Naomi help herself by giving her some sound advice and pushing her in the direction she needed to take. I loved Finn and he's got to be my favourite character by far!

I felt sorry for Naomi's parents, they tried so hard to do what was best for her yet they could never seem to get it right, her mother especially. I wished Naomi had been less harsh on them, explaining herself and trying to help and I was very glad when that hole started to mend.

This book was different from The Breakaway but there were a few key elements that spread over both books. 1. Naomi was the main focus. 2. She was caught between expectations and her own path. 3. They both centre around things that set Naomi on the path to self-discovery. I really enjoyed this book, perhaps more than the first, and I would love to read more from Michelle, her ideas are creative and her execution and characters are brilliant.


3.5/5 Whales



Author Bio - Michelle Davidson Argyle


'Michelle lives and writes in Utah, surrounded by the Rocky Mountains. She loves the seasons, but late summer and early fall are her favorites. She adores chocolate, sushi, and lots of ethnic food, and loves to read and write books in whatever time she can grab between her sword-wielding husband and energetic daughter. She believes a simple life is the best life.

Author Links
Website - Goodreads - Twitter - Facebook




Catch the rest of the TOUR HERE

3 comments: