Tuesday, 30 April 2013

The Valkyrie Series by T.G. Ayer Blog Tour - Dead Radiance Review


Dead Radiance (Valkyrie #1) by T.G. Ayer


Dead Radiance (Valkyrie, #1)Title: Dead Radiance

Series: Valkyrie #1

Author: T.G. Ayer

Published: 25th February 2012 by T.G. Ayer Books


Source: E-copy from the author for an honest review



Synopsis:


Bryn Halbrook had always seen the glow. But it is only when her best friend dies that she discovers the meaning of those beautiful golden auras — Death. Alone, lost in the foster system, she struggles to understand who she is and why she was cursed with the ability to see the soon-to-be-dead. 

The new foster kid, Aidan, isn’t helping any. Mr. Perfect seems to fit in no matter what, making her feel even more pathetic. But when his affections turn to her, Bryn finds him hard to resist. Impossible actually. A mystery himself, Aidan disappears, leaving behind a broken heart and a mysterious book that suggests Bryn might not be entirely human.

Bryn stands at the threshold of a journey of discovery. Will destiny help her find herself, find her purpose and her place in a world in which she’d never belonged?


Book Links
Amazon - Barnes & Noble - Smashwords




My Review

This book blew me away. The majority of books I've read recently have been paranormal and for me, everything was starting to get a bit old. This is not the case for Dead Radiance. The writing was refreshing as was the story and and it has rekindled the flame for paranormal books.

I adore fairytales, myths and legends so when I discovered this book was about Norse mythology, I was hooked! I only new bits and pieces about  Norse mythology (mainly about Loki, my neighbour finds his many forms and activities amusing) but I new nothing about Valkyries, so it was fantastic to learn about them!

I liked this book from the beginning, but it was only when we got further in that I really started to love the story. The writing improved and the characters grew into themselves - it was great!

In the beginning I wasn't a big fan of Bryn and Aidan's relationship. I've never been fond of insta-love in books, but I think it's more the insta-lust that I don't like. I think some insta-loves give off the feeling of 'he's so sexy - now I'm in love with him', it feels more like a relationship built of lust than love which is not my cup of tea. It felt as though Bryn and Aidan were a insta-lust relationship, especially since he was the first guy Bryn felt a romantic attraction to, but their relationship grew on me as the book progressed.

This book was a great mix of action, mystery, romance and mythology. I have high hopes for the next book in the series and am sure it will not let me down. I would definitely recommend it to any paranormal or mythology lovers!


4/5 Whales





Author Bio - T.G. Ayer


T.G. AyerTee has been a writer from the time she was old enough to recognise that reading was a doorway into her imagination. Poetry was her first foray into the art of the written word. Books were her best friends, her escape, her haven. She is essentially a recluse but this part of her personality is impossible to practise given she has two teenage daughters, who are actually her friends, her tea-makers, her confidantes… She is blessed with a husband who has left her for golf. It’s a fair trade as she has left him for writing. They are both passionate supporters of each other's loves – it works wonderfully…

Her heart is currently broken in two. One half resides in South Africa where her old roots still remain, and her heart still longs for the endless beaches and the smell of moist soil after a summer downpour. Her love for Ma Afrika will never fade. The other half of Tee has been transplanted to the Land of the Long White Cloud. The land of the Taniwha, beautiful Maraes, and volcanoes. The land of green, pure beauty that truly inspires. And because she is so torn between these two lands – she shall forever remain cross-eyed.

Author Links
Amazon


Find the rest of the TOUR HERE

2 comments:

  1. Myra how strange that I actually went to read your review of Dead Radiance and then the following day I was notified that I had won a copy of Dead Embers :D

    Great review and I'm now eagerly anticipating reading the series :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I really hope you enjoy the series. :)

      Delete