Tuesday, 12 August 2014

Defy by Sara B. Larson - Review

Defy (Defy #1) by Sara B. Larson

Defy (Defy, #1)Title: Defy

Series: Defy #1

Author: 
Sara B. Larson

Published: 7th January 2014 by Scholastic Press


Source: E-copy from NetGalley for my honest review




Synopsis:

A lush and gorgeously written debut, packed with action, intrigue, and a thrilling love triangle.

Alexa Hollen is a fighter. Forced to disguise herself as a boy and serve in the king's army, Alex uses her quick wit and fierce sword-fighting skills to earn a spot on the elite prince's guard. But when a powerful sorcerer sneaks into the palace in the dead of night, even Alex, who is virtually unbeatable, can't prevent him from abducting her, her fellow guard and friend Rylan, and Prince Damian, taking them through the treacherous wilds of the jungle and deep into enemy territory.

The longer Alex is held captive with both Rylan and the prince, the more she realizes that she is not the only one who has been keeping dangerous secrets. And suddenly, after her own secret is revealed, Alex finds herself confronted with two men vying for her heart: the safe and steady Rylan, who has always cared for her, and the dark, intriguing Damian. With hidden foes lurking around every corner, is Alex strong enough to save herself and the kingdom she's sworn to protect?


Book Links



Review

I had really high hopes for this story because, as you probably know, I absolutely adore all things fantasy. Though I'd seen mixed reviews, the synopsis sounded really good and I held out hope that this would be another epic fantasy series. Unfortunately, I just didn't feel that was the case.

The characters were average, they all had the standard backstories you'd expect with nothing really interesting to separate them from everything else out there. I didn't feel any real connection with any of the characters, they were just lacking some deeper, fundamental thing and their wasn't anything I could empathise or relate to in the characters.

The "love triangle" was also poorly done. I knew it was coming because the synopsis tells of the "thrilling love triangle". It wasn't. I'm not a huge fan of love triangles to begin with, they have to be done really well for me to enjoy them, and sadly this love triangle had me moaning with despair. When she discovered two men were in love with her, the main character lost whatever adventurous spirit she had and became absolutely ridiculous. It didn't help that I felt nothing for either of the suitors and couldn't care less who she ended up with. I was really disappointed with how childish and silly the whole thing was - hello, there's a war going on! I think that's a bigger issue than who you wanna make out with!

Another thing I really had a problem with was the breeding houses. I like my fantasy books to have dark, twisted elements but this felt like it was just thrown in to further the plot. We only saw it once I can't believe that there was no one willing to fight to save the children! It really wasn't something that needed to be in the story.

This book had an interesting story and it could've done so much better. I wish I had enjoyed it more but every time I tried overlooking something, something else would pop up and have me shaking my head. I know some people really enjoyed this book but I just couldn't get into it.


2.5/5 Whales

2 comments:

  1. Good review. Too bad this was a miss. I kind of like the summary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually haven't tried this series yet, but it has been on my TBR for a while. It does sound good, but I have seen some things that make me wonder if it is a book that I would enjoy. Usually I am willing to take a chance regardless of reviews, but there are certain things that scream Red Flag to me. First is characters, and a crappy, almost pointless love triangle or romance in general, is another. So this is strike two. I may still check it out, but it will be when all of the books are released!

    ReplyDelete