Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Top Ten Tuesday [20]

Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT Pick Up A Book!


 



1. New Adult
Any time I see the words 'New Adult' for a book genre, I make sure to carefully read the blurb as though I've read a couple of good NA books, so far most just seem to be almost the same as YA but with more (much more) sex. So far this new genre is not appealing to me.


2. Horror and/or Thriller
I don't like watching sacry movies and I don't like reading scary books. it's as simple as that.


3. "The next [insert popular book here]"
I want my books to be able to draw me in on their own. I don't want them to have to rely on other peoples popularity.


4. Werewolves
They're not so exciting. I mean, who wants to say they've been kissing a big furry wolf all day? Not very romantic.


5. Fanfiction to Novel
Fanfiction is fanfiction and novels are novels. I like both, by themselves they are good, but I don't particularly like changing fanfiction into a book. I think some things work better in their original form.


6. Erotica
I'm fine with sex in my books, but not 90% of it. It's just not a genre I'm into.


7. High School
They just annoy me. The drama that is in these books is not all that unrealistic but I just can't get past the idiocy and stupid of high school dramas.



8. Religious Fiction
I have nothing against religion, but I don't want to read something that preaches to me every time I read a sentence. It really kicks me out of the story.


9. Sports
I have no interest in any sports inside or outside of a book, so reading about them is just plain boring.



10. 'Sex crazy'
If someone is described as sex crazy then it's a safe bet to assume that throughout the book that one of their partners or their best friend or some other person will grab their interest and though they'll try to fight the affection and just focus on the lust, they'll eventually succumb to their feelings and realise what they've been missing.

Also, describing someone as 'sex crazed' just makes me cringe.

2 comments:

  1. Sports? I don't get it. You know what's going to happen. A person is going to hit the ball and run. Or kick the ball and run. And that's it.

    Here's my Top Ten list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sex-crazed is such a horrible term. It's definitely cringe-worthy. I'm so with you on NA, too. They all seem to focus on sex and the girls always seem to be recovering from some horrific past where they were raped or abused. It's just too melodramatic for my tastes. Great list!
    Natflix&Books' TTT

    ReplyDelete