Friday, 9 August 2013

A Tale of Two Centuries by Rachel Harris - Review

A Tale of Two Centuries (MSSSC #2) by Rachel Harris

Title: A Tale of Two Centuries

Series: My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century #2

Author: 
Rachel Harris

Published: 6th August 2013


Source: E-arc from the author for an honest review




Alessandra D’Angeli is in need of an adventure. Tired of her sixteenth-century life in Italy and homesick for her time-traveling cousin, Cat, who visited her for a magical week and dazzled her with tales of the future, Alessandra is lost. Until the stars hear her plea.

One mystical spell later, Alessandra appears on Cat’s Beverly Hills doorstep five hundred years in the future. Surrounded by confusing gadgets, scary transportation, and scandalous clothing, Less is hesitant to live the life of a twenty-first century teen…until she meets the infuriating—and infuriatingly handsome—surfer Austin Michaels. Austin challenges everything she believes in…and introduces her to a world filled with possibility.

With the clock ticking, Less knows she must live every moment of her modern life while she still can. But how will she return to the drab life of her past when the future is what holds everything she’s come to love?




My Review

When I reviewed the first book in the series last year, I gave it a 5/5, sadly for this book.. there isn't a higher rating than that to give! This book was just as good as the first, and as I'd already built a relationship with a few of the characters, it may have even been better!

There are many obvious similarities between MSSSC and ATOTC such as the characters, the time travel, and the sexy men, but where the first book focused on Cat, this book's main characetr was Alessandra who just so happened to be my favourite character from MSSSC! Alessandra was such an amazing person and character and it was so much fun watching her grow and change in this book.

In this book, we watched Alessandra try to understand and fit into the 21st century, five centuries later than when she was actually born. It was amusing watching her try to grasp concepts that just come naturally to us, such as contractions ('I'm', 'isn't', 'couldn't', etc.) and you could feel her joy when she managed to achieve something new. The scenes between her and Austin were thick with emotions, and I think I found myself blushing just as much as Alessandra did!

I think a factor in why I enjoyed this book so much was that I've gotten to know how sweet and kind Rachel Harris is, through various social media interactions so I can really feel all the effort and time she's put into her books. Her darling personality coupled with the fantastic story & writing, makes for a wonderful, wonderful book! The only real problem I had with it was that it was too short! I mean it's 320 pages, so fairly decently sized, and the story was perfectly paced and was wonderful and everything, but I was so entranced by this book that anything less than 10,000 pages is too, too short! (Seriously, if I could live in this book I would, and not just for the hot guys ;) )

I could go on and on about this book, it's just so good! But I don't think I could really do it justice. If you like the first book then you will definitely love this, in fact, I can't think of anyone who would not enjoy this book! It is just a joy to read, filled with so much emotion and a strong message about finding yourself and following your heart. This is just a terrific book with the perfect amount of romance, fun and magic. Simply put, I loved it.


5/5 Whales


3 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this book and how awesome that you gave it a five out of five! :) That really means you loved it & by the way your review is very enthusiastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This review had me misty-eyed and grinning like crazy. Thank you SO much Myra! And getting to know all of you is definitely the best part of this whole author gig ;)

    xoxo
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review and I couldn't agree more. :)

    ReplyDelete