Tuesday, 13 August 2013

Top Ten Tuesday [21]

Top Ten Eight Favourite Book With a Futuristic, Dystopian or Alternate Universe Setting


 

The theme for this week is Top Ten Favourite Books With 'X' Setting and as I just finished a really good post-apocalyptic novel I had to have that as my theme this week!


Northern Lights (His Dark Materials, #1)   Predator Cities #1: Mortal Engines

1. Northern Lights (His Dark Materials #1) by Philip Pullman
I know I have this book in pretty much every list but I can't help myself, it's too good! The characters travel through several different realities/universes throughout the series and the relationships and story are just so wonderful!

2. Mortal Engines (Predator Cities #1) by Philip Reeve
I just, just finished this book (last night in fact!) and it was such a great, unique idea! In this post-apocalyptic world cities walk the earth and eat each other to further their own growth. That's right, big cities gobble up the little cities, grinding them down and using the parts grow. A really good story!


What's Left of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles, #1)   Delirium (Delirium, #1)

3. What's Left of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles #1) by Kat Zhang
This is set in an alternate version of our world where two souls are born into the one body, at least in the beginning.. I loved this story and the idea for it and everything about it really!

4. Delirium (Delirium #1) by Lauren Oliver
Another good dystopian where love is said to be the downfall of mankind and therefore evil. I enjoyed this book and I really should get around to reading the rest of the series.


Divergent (Divergent, #1)   Obernewtyn (Obernewtyn Chronicles, #1)

5. Divergent (Divergent #1) by Veronica Roth
I really like the idea of different factions, allocated to different tasks in society and though I've seen that sort of setup in other books, I think Divergent did a really good job with it.

6. Obernewtyn (The Obernewtyn Chronicles #1) by Isobelle Carmody
Such a great, long series about a post-apocalyptic world where some humans have developed special mental abilities much to the chagrin and fear of other people. This series was first started in 1987 and is almost finished and it just keeps getting better and better as you move from one book to the next.


Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)   The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)

7. Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi
I started reading this book a while ago and while I was really enjoying I had to put it down to get through some review books, then some more, and some more.. anyway, I was really enjoying the story and think I'll enjoy the books so I thought I'd add it to the list.

8. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins
You can't really have a futuristic/dystopian list without The Hunger Games featuring. I thought the books were really good, but I found the first book to be the best.


6 comments:

  1. I'd like to try this list with a post-apocalyptic setting. I wonder if anyone tried that. Maybe next time!

    Here's my Top Ten List of Books Set in Libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, all of these sound awesome! I've only read The Hunger Games out of all of your picks though. I guess I need to change that soon!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dystopian settings, but I actually haven't read most of the books on your list. I think I need to remedy that! Thanks for all the great recommendations :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's left of me! I really liked this book :) Delirium was a bit disappointing for me. THG is good, I love Divergent and I can't wait to read Shatter me.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love the His Dark Materials books. I wish I would have thought of that for my list.
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Myra I love these types of books! I've got Once We Were, What's Left of Me's sequel and can't wait to read it :D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete