Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Death of the Mad Hatter by Sarah J. Pepper - Review

Death of the Mad Hatter by Sarah J. Pepper

Death of the Mad HatterTitle: Death of the Mad Hatter

Series: N/A

Author: Sarah J. Pepper

Published: 29th November 2013


Source: E-copy from the author for an honest review




Synopsis:

The Jack prophesied: If the king loses his head, then the Queen with a Bleeding Heart would rule the Red Court until Time ceased to move forward. When a second carried on for infinity, every creature in Wonderland would tip their Hat to the misfit girl with a Boy’s name (or was it a boy with a Girl’s name?) who’d end the Reign of Terror. However, it all hinged on the One-Eyed Hare being able to convince an uninspirable Heir that the impossible was indeed possible—like stopping time—and that Love was worth a Beheading.

Heads would Roll…
Hearts would Break…
In the end, would it matter who Reigned?



Book Links
Goodreads


My Review

When I started this book, for about the first quarter or so, I felt engaged with the story but I wasn't totally invested. The story and characters were good but I wasn't emotionally involved with it all. After I got past that first quarter (at about 10/11 o'clock at night) I could not put the book down, which severely impeded my ability to sleep, not that I minded of course! 

This book had a very wonder-esque feel to it and I loved the kooky oddness of the Wonderland world. This book really captured the silly nonsense of Lewis Carroll's Wonderland but Death of the Mad Hatter had more structure and was more relatable than its earlier counterpart. It also had some super, sweet, sexy romance, which was very much to my liking!

The characters in this book were fantastic and even though they didn't get major screen- err.. page time, I really loved MH and Robby. I also thoroughly enjoyed Alice Mae and Ryley and I really liked watching them grow as characters into themselves and the roles they needed to play. All the evil guys and gals were done perfectly, there was never a moment I didn't love to hate them! The only really sad thing was that Chez was such a meany, but Rutherford - sorry! - Mr. Ruth, certainly made up for the lack of animal kindness!


This book was so wacky that half the time I didn't know what was going, at least for a minute or two, but luckily most of the characters were as confused as I was which mad me feel a whole lot less silly! This book had the right amount of crazy that any Wonderland retelling needs and I adored it! Everything from the wacky prophecies, to Alice Mae's crazy make-up, I loved and couldn't get enough of the superb and splendiferous weirdness!


4/5 Whales


1 comment:

  1. Good review. I love Alice in Wonderland remakes. <3

    ReplyDelete