Guest Post with Rebekah Turner
Rebekah Turner's Tale of Publication
Chaos Born being picked up by Escape was a great opportunity for me. I kept in touch with the other launch authors and we shared notes, chatted about our books, hopes for the future and the difficulties of getting a writing career off the ground. As time passed and Escape grew, an online meeting place was set up for Escape authors. It's now a thriving community, where advice is sought from the hive mind and we share news, both good and bad.
There is still nothing quite like hearing a publisher say they love my books; the sensation is like snorting a line of sherbet while watching Benedict Cumberbatch's deleted shower scene from Star Trek Into Darkness. Pure awesome-pants. My second book, Chaos Bound, will be out December 2013, so I'm pretty excited/ nauseous about that. I'm now working on the third book in the Chaos series, as well as a New Adult book.
So, while I’m still a relative novice in this kooky land of publishing, I thought I’d pass on some great advice I’ve been given over the years:
* Adhere to the publisher's guidelines when submitting. Escape Publishing has a good blog about common mistakes here http://escapepublishingblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/11/mis-steps-you-might-not-know-youre-taking/
* Have a writing routine and a weekly or daily writing goal.
* Study the craft through classes and workshops. Then study some more.
* Join a writers centre and join a writers group.
* Embrace revisions of your story and embrace it HARD.
* Be savvy about the business of publishing and writing, as well as the marketplace and how your genre of choice sits in it. There is a great blog written about author discoverability here http://www.hughhowey.com/discoverability-and-donald-rumsfeld/
Author Bio -Rebekah Turner
Rebekah lives in sunny Queensland and has worked in the past as a graphic designer. She now does freelance work when her kids are looking the other way. An avid writer since she could scrawl in her dad’s expensive encyclopaedias, she has progressed from horsey stories to tales of dark fantasy with lashings of romance and a sprinkling of horror.
Her vices include eating overpriced ice cream, watching trashy 80s action movies and buying stationery she doesn’t need.
Chaos Bound (Chroniclesfrom the Applecross #2) by Rebekah Turner
Published: 1st December 2013 by Escape Publishing
Lora Blackgoat — mercenary and smuggler — has only just recovered from the last threat on her life and hasn’t even begun to sort out the mess of having both a nephilim warrior and a reborn hellspawn as potential lovers. Work should be a refuge, but a job finding missing persons puts her in the crosshairs of a violent gang and a merchant with a taste for blood sport.
Reluctantly, Lora turns to the two men in her life for help. Roman — the nephilim — professes to be her soul mate and turns to her when he feels the darkness of nephilim madness descending. But though Lora is drawn to Roman, it is Seth, ex-lover and reborn hellspawn, who Lora must ultimately ask to protect those she loves. Can she trust Seth to save Roman and her adoptive family, or will this be a fatal mistake?
One e-copy of Chaos Bound by Rebekah Turner
-Ends 29th November 2013
-Ends 29th November 2013
a Rafflecopter giveaway