Wednesday, 25 December 2013

Insurgent by Veronica Roth - Review

Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)Title: Insurgent

Series: Divergent #2

Author: Veronica Roth

Published: 
1st May 2012 by Harper Collins Children's Books

Source: 
E-copy from NetGalley for my honest review



Synopsis:

I HAVE DONE BAD THINGS.
I CAN'T TAKE THEM BACK,
AND THEY ARE PART OF WHO I AM.


Tris has survived a brutal attack on her former home and family. But she has paid a terrible price. Wracked by grief and guilt, she becomes ever more reckless as she struggles to accept her new future.

Yet if Tris wants to uncover the truth about her world, she must be stronger than ever... because more shocking choices and sacrifices lie ahead.



Book Links

My Review


**Contains spoilers from Divergent!**

I read Divergent at the start of this year and as Insurgent starts right where Divergent  left off I was a bit confused for the first couple of chapters. Who was Peter? Who was Marcus? What did the factions represent again..? As they started to reflect a bit on what had happened before I began to piece together the bits I was missing and began to engage properly with the story.

This book starts almost exactly where Divergent ends in the aftermath of the Abnegation slaughter. Tris, Tobias (a.k.a Four) and a couple of others seek refuge in the Amity compound and while the Amity are peaceful they also have a close relationship with Erudite - the faction that attacked the Abnegation - and decide to remain completely impartial for the conflict, leaving the Dauntless with few choices for allies.

A lot of stuff happens in this book, a lot of poo goes down! Tris is changed from the attack after seeing both her parents die and from having to shoot one of her best friends. She's a lot more uncertain and reckless in this book and while I understand her thinking, I'm not as fond of the characters this time round, at least for the first part of the book.

Tris and Tobias' relationship was all over the place, sometimes it was hot and sometimes it was so cold I didn't know where to look. Tobias was still as hot as ever but his personality wasn't the same as before, understandably, and the way he sometimes treated Tris seemed like a bit of an overreaction but in the end I still love him.

We got to see more of the other factions in this book which I found really cool and there were some twists I really did not see coming! Overall I think I enjoyed this book more than Divergent but they're pretty much on par. This is a good dystopian series and I'm glad I picked it up!

4/5 Whales


1 comment:

  1. Good review. I liked Divergent better, but I loved the cliff hanger at the end of this book. ;)

    ReplyDelete