Monday, 9 December 2013

Pawn by Aimee Carter - Review

Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion #1) by Aimee Carter

Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)Title: Pawn

Series: The Blackcoat Rebellion #1

Author: Aimee Carter

Published: 26th November 2013 (1st December 2013) by Harlequin Teen


Source: E-ARC from Netgalley for my honest review




Synopsis:

YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING. 

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country. 

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter. 

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.



Book Links
Goodreads




My Review

I requested this book from NetGalley because I thought it sounded like something I'd enjoy, but when I got around to reading it, I'd forgotten what exactly it was about. So the twists in the story revealed in the synopsis were new to me which was refreshingly nice!

I always love the governments in dystopian novels. I mean, I wouldn't like them ruling over me, ever, but the ideas behind them and the rules and ideals are so cool! The government in Pawn was very cool. They divide everyone into groups based on how useful thry are to society, from I (useless) to VI (v. useful), VII's are only given to those born into the ruling class family, the Harts. This is an alright idea as it gives people from overlooked places in society a chance to do great things, but it has several downfalls.


1. People of lower classes are treated like scum and never have the chance to become anything.

2. People who commit a crime, are too old, too "stupid", born in the wrong place at the wrong time.. they get sent 'Elsewhere'. You don't want to go there. Ever.
3. The government and the Harts are completely corrupt.
And...
4. It's only the underpriveleged who have to fight for their place in society. The upper classes are hand-fed shiny VI's. Intelligence is optional for them.

It's these things that make the government's system wrong, and what make this story so, so right!


I liked the characters, though I could never tell if they were good, bad, or just plain evil! I thought Kitty was awesome though the relationships she had with the guys were confusing and I would definitely not like to be in her shoes! I didn't really like Lila. I thought she was a spoiled brat, and even though her speeches were great and brave thing to do, I much preferred the Kitty version of things.


This book was really cool and I whizzed through it. I'm looking forward to the next book and I hope we get to see a bit more of the world, and Elsewhere. Though Elsewhere is a horrible and twisted idea, it adds such flavour to the book and that scene where we saw Elsewhere.. No spoilers, but if you've read the book you know what I'm talking about. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to more!

4/5 Whales


No comments:

Post a Comment