Wednesday, 8 January 2014

2013 End of Year Book Survey


Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)

YA Contemporary - Crash Into You by Katie McGarry
Fantasy - Graceling by Kristin Cashore, and, The Hero's Lot by Patrick W. Carr
Time Travel (totally a genre! :P) - A Tale of Two Centuries by Rachel Harris
Mystery/Suspense/Thriller/Romance (I don't know which one genre this book fits so.. all of them!) - Blog This by Cami Checketts
Historical Fiction - Maid of Secrets by Jennifer McGowan

Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Divergent by Veronica Roth. I still liked this book, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I'd thought I would from all the hype.

Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 

Blog This by Cami Checketts. I was expecting to enjoy this book, after being pleasantly surprised by another of her books earlier in 2013, but I did not expect to love this book as much as I did!

Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

A Tale of Two Centuries by Rachel Harris.

Best series you discovered in 2013?

The Staff & the Sword series by Patrick W. Carr - A Cast of Stones (#1) & The Hero's Lot (#2)!

Favourite new author you discovered in 2013?

Cami Checketts, definitely! (Dead Running, &, Blog This)

Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Betwixt by Melissa Pearl. This book had religion weaved through the paranormal and while I don't normally read religious-based books (I don't like being preached at while reading) this book handled the religion well and was a really great story!

Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

Either Crash Into You by Katie McGarry, or, The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead!

Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

First Visions by Heather Topham Wood. This is the first book in the Second Sight series and since I've forgotten most of it, I think I shall re-read it then read the rest of the series.

Favourite cover of a book you read in 2013?

Pawn by Aimee Carter - I love the colours and the simplicity!

Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)

Most memorable character in 2013? 

Anyone from The Marshmallow Hamme Detective Agency: The Mysterious Case of the Golden Egg by Ernie Lindsey. Al the characters were unique and brilliant!

Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Gosh, I don't know! Starflower by Anne Elisabeth Stengl is definitely one of the tops though!

Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

Blog This by Cami Checketts. This book is just full of wonders and it really made me think about things.

Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

Graceling by Kristin Cashore. I loved this book! Why did I not read it sooner?! I have been disgracing my name as a fantasy lover!

 Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

I don't usually remember quotes (though I have decided this year that if a particular passage grabs me I will write it down!) but looking up some quotes on Goodreads I did find a nice one from a book I read this year:

“Sometimes we just have to accept the fact we can't explain everything. Life happens, whether we want it to or not and we don't always have a reason why. Our job is to try and make some good come out of it.” 
~Betwixt by Melissa Pearl

Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest: The Buttersmiths' Gold by Adam Glendon Sidwell ~126 pages
Longest: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl ~563 pages

This is according to Goodreads, but I think it's pretty accurate. :)

Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

I had an OhMyGodKatieMcGarryWhyWouldYouTortureMeSo moment when reading Crash Into You by Katie McGarry. I won't get into details (no spoilers!) but I immediately had to explain the whole book to my boyfriend just so I could talk about that one part that almost killed me!

Favourite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

I loved the relationship between Hat & her grandfather from The Marshmallow Hamme Detective Agency: The Mysterious Case of the Golden Egg by Ernie Lindsey. Even though her grandfather was no longer alive in the book I thought there relationship sounded wonderful!

Favourite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

That's a toss up between Crash Into You by Katie McGarry, The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead, and, A Tale of Two Centuries by Rachel Harris!

Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

Dead Running Cami Checketts. I decided to give this book a go because more reviewers were needed to help with the blog tour and it was only the recommendations from others that made me give it a try!

Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

Umm.. probably Paranormal/Fantasy.

Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

Rafe from Maid of Secrets by Jennifer McGowan & Dale from Betwixt by Melissa Pearl.

Best 2013 debut you read?

Maid of Secrets by Jennifer McGowan.

Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

Fraction of Stone by Kelley Lynn.

Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

Either The Marshmallow Hamme Detective Agency: The Mysterious Case of the Golden Egg by Ernie Lindsey, or the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan!

Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

Blog This by Cami Checketts - and of course I had to be reading this book in the middle of a public library at the time. :P

Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

Most of the Indie/Self-Published books. I'm not sure there's any one that stands out above the rest that I haven't mentioned previously. 



Book Blogging/Reading Life 2013

New favourite book blog you discovered in 2013? 

Realy? You want me to choose just one?! Well there's The Eater of Books, Effortlessly Reading, Book Cracker Caroline, At the Cool Table (for new/aspiring authors), and more!


Favourite review that you wrote in 2013? 

Blog This by Cami Checketts. I was very proud of this review and had a lot of fun writing it!


Best discussion you had on your blog?

My blog isn't very discussion-y, the most fun/different/interesting posts I have done would probably be all my One Year Blogoversary posts and all the Flirt Squad challenges I've completed!


Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?

I saw this the other day and loved the review! Revel by Maurissa Guibord from The Eater of Books!

Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

I love all the virtual Facebook parties I've attended this year and I loved discovering the Weekly Review Round-Up meme by Reviews From a Bookworm!

Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?

My One Year Blogoversary !! I was, and still am, so excited to ahve reached this awesome milestone and I loved how other bloggers and authors helped me out with special posts and giveaways!!

Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

Comments: Midwinter's Eve Giveaway Hop (45 comments) Views: Spooktacular Giveaway Hop (698 pageviews)

Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

Any of my more  recent reviews, they haven't gotten as much attention as my others.

Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Does discovering how kind and generous other bloggers and authors are count as a bookish discovery? :)

Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

I completed five reading challenges. Full details and such can be found here.



Looking Ahead

One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
That book was Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan, which I finished a few days into 2014! I was so glad I finally got to it and will get around to reviewing it soon!

Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
Silver Shadows by Richelle Mead. It's Richelle Mead. And Sydney. And Adrian. And- *fangirls*

2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Half Bad by Sally King. I like the sound of this book and so far it's looking to be pretty good!

Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
A Draw of Kings by Patrick W. Carr! I loved the first two books in this series and can't wait to see how it ends!

One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
I would love to be able to meet all my reading goals for this year, and to not leave review writing until the last possible second!

No comments:

Post a Comment