Monday, 6 January 2014

Angelbound by Christina Bauer - Review

Angelbound (Angelbound #1) by Christina Bauer

Angelbound (Angelbound, #1)Title: Angelbound

Series: Angelbound #1

Author: Christina Bauer

Published: 
17th December 2013 by Ink Monster LLC

Source: 
E-ARC from Netgalley for my honest review



Synopsis:

Eighteen year old Myla Lewis is a girl who loves two things: kicking ass and kicking ass. She’s not your every day quasi-demon, half-demon and half-human, girl. For the past five years, Myla has lived for the days she gets to fight in Purgatory’s arena. When souls want a trial by combat for their right to enter heaven or hell, they go up against her, and she hasn’t lost a battle yet.

But as she starts her senior year at Purgatory High, the arena fights aren’t enough to keep her spirits up anymore. When the demons start to act weird, even for demons, and the King of the Demons, Armageddon, shows up at Myla’s school, she knows that things are changing and it’s not looking good for the quasi-demons. Myla starts to question everything, and doesn’t like the answers she finds. What happened seventeen years ago that turned the quasi-demons into slave labor? Why was her mom always so sad? And why won’t anyone tell her who her father is? Things heat up when Myla meets Lincoln, the High Prince of the Thrax, a super sexy half-human and half-angel demon hunter. But what’s a quasi-demon girl to do when she falls for a demon hunter? It’s a good thing that Myla’s not afraid of breaking a few rules. With a love worth fighting for, Myla’s going to shake up Purgatory.



Book Links
Goodreads

My Review

Angelbound takes place in purgatory, the place between heaven and hell where souls go to be judged, and it is full of all sorts of paranormal goodies! There are angels (heaven) and demons (hell) of course, but purgatory is mostly occupied by quasis, part demon part human. Quasis each have an "inner demon" which is one of the seven deadly sins, though in some cases quasis can posses two sins.

There are 5 different realms in the world of this book and though Angelbound only takes place in Purgatory, we learn of these other realms and are told of their history and purpose. I thought they were a really good idea and I really hope we get to see more of them in future books.

The main character, Myla, is a furor demon and as such she possesses the two sins of wrath and lust. These make for an awesome combination and a kick-ass fighter! I liked most of the other characters too, and Lincoln and Myla were very good together though I felt that relationship changed from on extreme to the other just a bit too quickly for believability.

This book has a lot of awesome, kick-ass moments but with this being such a long book and not really needing all that length, the pacing was all over the place. For the first part of the book it didn't matter at what point I stopped reading, when I started again it felt as if I had hardly moved into the story at all. After that things started to come together more and the story flowed better, but there was a fair bit at the start that could've easily been edited out.

Overall I found Angelbound to be a fun, interesting book! Most of the ideas were new to me and so I found this book a nice difference to other paranormal books I've been reading recently. The pacing was a little off at first but the story was good and kept me interested. If you like books with angels/demons you should definitely check this book out!

4/5 Whales


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very interesting story, the world building seems pretty complex and intriguing :) I don't usually read books about angels/Heaven/Hell, but this one sounds like something I would actually enjoy! Thanks for an awesome review!

    Evie @Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, the concepts in this book sound interesting! Not something I have ever come across before. Plus I love awesome female leads. (:
    Thanks for the review, I think I might take a look at this book!

    Brea @ Breezy Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the book doesn't disappoint!

      Delete