Sunday, 12 January 2014

Witch Song by Amber Argyle - Review

Witch Song (Witch Song #1) by Amber Argyle

Witch Song (Witch Song, #1)Title: Witch Song

Series: Witch Song #1

Author: Amber Argyle

Published: 
8th September 2011 by Starling Books

Source: 
E-copy from the author for my honest review



Synopsis:

The Witch Hunters have come for Brusenna, for she is the last. All the others have been captured by the Dark Witch. And without their magical songs to control nature, the world is dying.

Though young and untrained, Brusenna must succeed where every other Witch has failed. Find the Dark Witch. Fight her. Defeat her. If Brusenna fails, there will be nothing left to save—for the Witches, for mankind, or for the young Guardian who has committed his life to protecting hers.



Book Links
Goodreads

My Review

The main character in Witch Song is Brusenna who goes by the name Senna for most of this book (sadly, it took me about half the book before I realised Senna was just Brusenna minus the 'bru'. I was having a slow day.. :P ). At first she is a bit bland and lacks a lot of the character needed for a stand-out heroine, however she really starts to shine towards the end of this book. 
I've just started reading the second book in the series and I'm finding that I like Senna a lot more than I did in the first book and I'm very excited to see what happens with her character.

I thought the idea behind the magic was awesome. Spells were performed through song and you didn't just need the right words, you also needed to have perfect pitch to work the magic best. The primary thing witches could wield with their power were plants, which was another interesting part to their powers, and I really enjoyed the uniqueness that was brought to these witches and their magic.

I found the story pacing/events in this book to be a little off. There were a lot of things happening and I think the start of this book jumped from one incident to the next too quickly. Everything was being set up for the main storyline, but instead of being eased in, I felt it was a jumble of events and I didn't get the time to form a strong connection to the main character.

The thing that disappointed me most about this book was this: there was all of this build up throughout Witch Song leading up to the big event of defeating the Dark Witch, and after getting excited from the in-book hype, I was a bit let down with how anti-climactic it was. The way the witches' power works in this series is a very cool idea, but it doesn't make for very exciting battle scenes.

I liked this book but I didn't love it, as much as I wanted too. The idea of the magic was very unique and I liked it but it took most of the book for me to really enjoy/like the characters and so I felt a bit disconnected from the story. There were some really good ideas here, there were just a few things that let the book down, but I have a feeling I'll enjoy the next in the series a lot more!

3/5 Whales


No comments:

Post a Comment