Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Top Ten Tuesday [29]

Top Ten Tuesday Rewind - Top Ten SIX Childhood Favourites!

This weeks top ten is a rewind which means we get to choose one of the past topics we've missed to do!

 


Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)   Stormbreaker (Alex Rider, #1)

1. The Famous Five Series by Enid Blyton - read 6-7 years old
I remember walking into class late almost everyday during Prep and Grade 1 because I was too busy reading in the morning to get ready and when I did finally get to school the reading didn't stop. I'd walk into class with my nose stuck between the pages of a Famous Five book and I wouldn't put it away until I'd put my bag away in the cloakroom. Luckily my teacher was fond of Enid Blyton!

2. The Alex Rider Series by Anthony Horowitz - read 10+ years old
I was introduced to these books by my Grade 4 teacher when she read a bit of it to the class one day, unfortunately though the school library wouldn't allow us little Grade 4s to borrow those books as they were apparently for "older readers" (Grade 5/6s) luckily though my teachers were aware of my love of reading (yes, I was still walking into class late with a book in hand) and they talked to the library staff and gave me special access! This was of course very cool to me, but not as cool to everyone else. Weirdos. ;)


Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)   The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1)

3. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling - read 7+ years old
I grew up with the Harry Potter books and as many kids did, I devoured them completely, except for the first book, that one I read later. I was given a copy of the first book as a present but since I got it at the same time the movie came out I watched that instead and then read the books from #2. The last book came out when I was in Grade 6 and one of my friends who got the book a couple of days before me let slip something about a certain Weasley twin. I still have not forgiven him completely for that.

4. The Trixie Belden Series by Julie Campbell - read 7+ years old
My Grade 1 teacher introduced me to this series after noticing my love of the Famous Five series (wonder how she knew that..) and after reading the first book I was hooked! Unfortunately my local library & the local bookshops only had the first 8 or 9 books in the series from the new Random House reprint and so I only got to read that far, but my superly-duperly awesome boyfriend collects Trixie Belden/Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys books and gave me all his doubles so now I can finish one of my favourite childhood series!


Northern Lights (His Dark Materials, #1)   Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)

5. His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman - read 11+ years old
I was given the trilogy boxed set for my birthday one year but stupidly put it to the side thinking it looked silly. It wasn't until it got close to the movie coming out (The Golden Compass) that I thought I should read these books before I see the movie and I am SO glad I did! This is my favourite series and I just adore these books so much! The movie was a huge let-down after how much love I felt for these books, but I was still on such a book-high I didn;t care. Love, love, love this series!

6. The Belgariad Series by David Eddings - read 11+ years old
I was a bit older for this series, around 11 or 12, and when I first started it I was really tempted to put it down after the first chapter because it had started off - in my 11 year old opinion - very, very slowly, with no action and just lots of description and words. Of course this was setting the scene for the epic fantasy that would follow and building a relationship with the characters, though it took me a few more years to work that one out. I did however keep going with the book and absolutely adored it! I then rapidly devoured the rest of the series!


There were of course many other books that made up my childhood, but these were the main few I can remember. Honourable mentions go to Tamora Pierce, Dr. Seuss, Isobelle Carmody, and Garth Nix. I know there are many more authors I devoured but I just can't quite recall them! 

2 comments:

  1. Great pick. Harry Potter would definitely top my list, I love that series so much and it provided me with such a brilliant childhood. I also adored His Dark Materials and it's still one of my favourites now, I love Lyra! Nice list :) My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody is loving on Harry Potter. I just don't get the allure of it!

    ReplyDelete