Thursday, 20 March 2014

Kindar's Cure by Michelle Hauck - Review

Kindar's Cure by Michelle Hauck

Kindar's CureTitle: Kindar's Cure

Series: N/A

Author: Michelle Hauck

Published: 
30th July 2013 by Divertir Publishing

Source: 
E-copy from the author for my honest review



Synopsis:

Princess Kindar of Anost dreams of playing the hero and succeeding to her mother’s throne. But dreams are for fools. Reality involves two healthy sisters and a wasting disease of suffocating cough that’s killing her by inches. When her elder sister is murdered, the blame falls on Kindar, putting her head on the chopping block.

No one who survives eighteen years of choke lung lacks determination. A novice wizard, Maladonis Bin, approaches with a vision—a cure in a barren land of volcanic fumes. As choices go, a charming bootlicker that trips over his own feet isn’t the best option, but beggars can’t be choosers. Kindar escapes with Mal and several longtime attendants only to have her eyes opened that her country faces dark times. 

Her mother’s decision to close the prosperous mines spurs poverty and joblessness, inciting rebellion and opening Anost to foreign invasion. As Mal urges her toward a cure that will prove his visions, suddenly, an ally turns traitor, delivering Kindar to a rebel army, who have their own plans for a sickly princess.

With the killer poised to strike again, the rebels bearing down, and the country falling apart, she must weigh her personal hunt for a cure against saving her people.



Book Links
Goodreads


My Review

This book was fantastic and it was nothing at all like I expected! It was dark and gritty and the author wasn't afraid of writing characters who were twisted and vile and just down-right awful to behold; and this of course made me love the book!


I am a lover of all fantasy whether it's light, dark, silly, or twisted, but my favourite kind of fantasy is epic/high fantasy where there are daring quests, questionable wizards, magical kingdoms, dangerous prophecies, and heroes/heroines you can't help but root for! I just love the danger and adventure and romance of these stories and I was so happy when Kindar's Cure delivered on all fronts!

There are a lot of different elements to this novel and there's always someone plotting and planning, so I don't wan't to divulge much of the story in case I spoil something. I will say however that the story and characters are really engaging and you never know from one minute to the next what's going to happen. There were a few little plot points that I guessed, but most of it took me completely by surprise. The characters were also wonderful, each with their own unique personality and traits - all very believable - and I loved following Kindar's journey!

This is definitely a case of don't judge a book by its cover. Though the cover of Kindar's Cure isn't bad, it doesn't incite the same wonderful, dark, fantastical feelings as the book  - the book is definitely not all sunshine and pony rides as the cover may lead you to believe. If you love fantasy and are looking for something new to read then I'd definitely recommend Kindar's Cure. I was pleasantly surprised by just how much I enjoyed the story.

4/5 Whales



No comments:

Post a Comment