Sunday, 25 May 2014

A Draw of Kings by Patrick W. Carr - Review

A Draw of Kings (The Staff and the Sword #3) by Patrick W. Carr

A Draw of Kings (The Staff and the Sword #3)Title: A Draw of Kings

Series: The Staff and the Sword #3

Author: Patrick W. Carr

Published: 
18th February 2014 by Bethany House Publishers

Source: 
E-copy from NetGalley for my honest review


Synopsis:

Their journey to Merakh should have made Errol and his companions heroes of the realm. Instead, much is changed on their return. In the wake of the king’s death, Duke Weir is ruling the country–and his intentions are to marry Adora to bring an heir.

With Errol and the others imprisoned and the identity of the rightful heir to the throne still hidden in secrecy, Illustra is on the verge of civil war–and at growing risk from the armies of Merakh and Morgol.

A dangerous mission to free Errol succeeds, but the dangers facing the kingdom are mounting with every passing moment. The barrier has fallen, ferals are swarming toward the land, and their enemies draw near. Will the revelation of Illustra’s next true king come in time or will all be lost?




My Review

This is the third and final book in The Staff and the Sword series and I cannot stress enough how much I COMPLETELY and ABSOLUTELY ADORE THIS SERIES! This is fantasy at its best and I would happily read these books 1000x over.

I have a love-hate relationship with endings. On the one hand they bring everything to a close and you get to know the fate of all those beloved characters, but on the other hand they bring everything to a close and you get to know the fate of all those beloved characters! The ending of A Draw of Kings was flawless. This book written incredibly well and at the end I was left satisfied and content and whenever I do feel that post-series sadness I can happily pick up this series from the beginning and start everything all over again!

I can't really critique this book as there wasn't anything I didn't enjoy. The writing, the story, the characters, the world, the beginning, the ending, and everything in between was just perfect. If I had to say one non-gushy thing about this book it would be that since there's been some time since reading the second book I had forgotten a lot of the littler details. This in no way affected my enjoyment and it's not even a fault of the books, I could've re-read book 2 but I was just too eager to start A Draw of Kings, and even with my foggy memories this book was still one of the most enjoyable conclusions to a trilogy I have read. Ever.

I would 100% recommend this book to fantasy lovers, several of my friends in fact have been told about this wonderful, must-read series, but even if you're not a huge fantasy fan I would still heartily recommend this book just for the superb writing and excellent word-building. If you haven't started this series then do so now, I promise you won't regret it!


5/5 Whales

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! I used to read Fantasy and Science Fiction when I was on my King Arthur kick, but that changed after a while. Now I only read Fantasy and Sci-Fi if the book really piques my interest. I might have to check this book out. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete