Forest of Whispers by Jennifer Murgia
Expected Publication: 9th September 2014 by Spencer Hill Press
Raised by an old fortune-teller within the dark veil of the Bavarian Black Forest, Rune has learned two valuable lessons: only take from the forest that which you can use, and never, never look anyone in the eye in the village. For something terrible happened in the forest long ago... and now, the whispers of a long-dead mother with a vengeful secret have come haunting.
Forced to flee all she has ever known, Rune soon learns of a legacy she is bound to--one that is drenched in fear, witchcraft and murder--a birthright that stretches beyond the grave to the trees where Rune is no longer safe.
Guest Post by Jennifer Murgia
The Novel Writing Process: From Concept to Published Book
Let’s face it, writing a novel is no easy task—neither is the journey a book takes from conception to publication. I truly believe only those who are completely immersed in the world of books and publishing really understand how it all works. Let’s break it down:
- We begin with an idea that hits the author over the head and BAM! Insta-novel. Nope. It doesn’t quite happen like that. I mean, sort of . . . we writer types often have an uncanny vision of seeing the entire story play out in our heads like our lives flashing before our eyes.
- When that moment of euphoria wears off it’s time to get down to business and face the daunting task of actually writing the story.
- Months (usually 2-5) are spent writing the novel from start to finish. This is the honeymoon stage of the story, and in our brains, we love it. We spend every waking moment with it. Romanticize over it. It’s the best idea ever. And voila! A finished first draft.
- Honeymoon phase comes to a screeching halt as we suddenly doubt the file now stored in the laptop. Does it make sense? Will my agent/editor like it? Will it be my breakout novel? Will people hate it? *Note: This last train of thought is usually the one that sticks for a while. The only known cure is the BETA Treatment, where a small group of trusting, wise friends must read the manuscript and inject us with reassurance.
- FINALLY! We click the SEND button and the universe whisks the manuscript away . . . and we wait. And wait. And . . . yawn . . . wait some more. Then, one day, an editorial letter arrives in your email. *Caution: You may feel the overwhelming sensation of opening this email with one eye squinted shut, but I assure you, the revisions waiting for you will only make your book stronger and better.
- Hefty rounds of edits and revising take place. You drink an alarming amount of caffeine. You hide away from your family and worry that when you finally emerge your children will be malnourished and emaciated.
- Hooray! Your family is healthy and still loves you! Copy edits and proofing begin!
- Galley ARCs are printed and distributed. You no longer own a single finger nail. All have been chewed to nubs.
- Reviews are in – again, tread carefully here. ONLY read the good ones. Trust me on this.
- Release day! Your book’s birthday has finally arrived! Time to breathe a sigh of relief. Time to raise a glass of champagne not only to your accomplishment but to the fact that your sanity is still intact.
- Begin a new book . . .
Author Bio - Jennifer Murgia
Her latest novel, FOREST OF WHISPERS, will release September 9, 2014 from Spencer Hill Press.
She is the author of ANGEL STAR, LEMNISCATE & THE BLISS (Lands Atlantic Publishing) and BETWEEN THESE LINES (Playlist Fiction).
In 2012, Jennifer Co-Founded YA FEST with fellow YA author/friend, Cyn Balog. She coordinates this unique annual festival, bringing teens and fellow Young Adult authors together at her hometown library in Easton PA.
A $20 Amazon or B&N Gift Card (winner's choice) + witchy swag item
-Ends 14th September 2014
a Rafflecopter giveaway