Monday, 26 January 2015

I Was Here by Gayle Forman - Early Review

I Was Here by Gayle Forman

I Was Here
Title: I Was Here

Series: N/A

Author: Gayle Forman

Published: 27th January 2015 by Simon & Schuster Australia

Source: E-copy for my honest review from Simon & Schuster Australia



Synopsis:

From the bestselling author of If I Stay - this summer's YA blockbuster film.

This characteristically powerful novel follows eighteen-year-old Cody Reynolds in the months following her best friend's shocking suicide.

As Cody numbly searches for answers as to why Meg took her own life, she begins a journey of self-discovery which takes her to a terrifying precipice, and forces her to question not only her relationship with the Meg she thought she knew, but her own understanding of life, love, death and forgiveness.

A phenomenally moving story, I Was Here explores the sadly all-too-familiar issue of suicide and self-harm, addressing it in an authentic way with sensitivity and honesty.




My Review

As is the case with most of the books I read, I'd kinda forgotten what it was about when I started reading - I have too many books running through my head to keep track of them all! And I kinda like the fact that I didn't remember what was going to happen, it helps enhance the surprise and mystery elements.

I Was Here was a story about a girl trying to find out the truth behind the suicide of her best friend, and trying to cope with not knowing or seeing it coming. I've only read one other of Gayle Forman's books, If I Stay, but I noticed similarities between themes - coming to terms with loss and dealing with emotionally intense situations. These themes make for interesting and compelling reads and take you on an emotional ride.

It took me a little while to get into this book. The writing style made me feel detached from the main character and I found it hard to feel for her. The story idea was really interesting and I enjoyed reading the book but I wish I'd connected with the characters more.

The story threw a coupe of interesting curve-balls, I don't want to give anything away but I was quite shocked. Cody was ruthless in her search for the truth and some of what she did I thought was really stupid and reckless, her judgement was a bit off but I suppose you can forgive her because of her grief-strickenness. Overall I enjoyed the book but I wasn't blown away. If you're a fan of Gayle Forman I think you will enjoy I Was Here.

3.5/5 Whales

 

2 comments:

  1. Might check this out. I haven't read If I Stay, but I did enjoy the movie. Have you read other books by her/is this a common theme? I'm wondering if her books start to feel kind of repetitive and easily predictable after you read one or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!! I love and read all of Forman's work and I can't wait to read this one.
    -Mikee

    ReplyDelete