Sunday, 11 January 2015

When by Victoria Laurie - Early Review

When by Victoria Laurie

WhenTitle: When

Series: N/A

Author: Victoria Laurie

Published: 13th January 2015 by Disney-Hyperion

Source: E-copy for my honest review from NetGalley




Synopsis:

Maddie Fynn is a shy high school junior, cursed with an eerie intuitive ability: she sees a series of unique digits hovering above the foreheads of each person she encounters. Her earliest memories are marked by these numbers, but it takes her father’s premature death for Maddie and her family to realize that these mysterious digits are actually death dates, and just like birthdays, everyone has one.

Forced by her alcoholic mother to use her ability to make extra money, Maddie identifies the quickly approaching death date of one client's young son, but because her ability only allows her to see the when and not the how, she’s unable to offer any more insight. When the boy goes missing on that exact date, law enforcement turns to Maddie.

Soon, Maddie is entangled in a homicide investigation, and more young people disappear and are later found murdered. A suspect for the investigation, a target for the murderer, and attracting the attentions of a mysterious young admirer who may be connected to it all, Maddie's whole existence is about to be turned upside down. Can she right things before it's too late?



My Review

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting a whole lot when I started this book. I thought it sounded like an interesting story idea, but I wasn't sure how it would all come together. .. it came together very well! I was pleasantly surprised by the story and characters and once I started, I could not stop reading!

When centres around Maddie, a young girl with the ability to see people's 'death dates'; the day they are going to die. This leads to all sorts of trouble when a boy whose death date she predicted turns up murdered and Maddie becomes the lead suspect in his murder investigation.

The mystery and characters in When are just fantastic! Everyone has their own depth and story and each character has their own voice. And there were so many different connections and cross-overs between events and characters which made the story all the more enjoyable. Now, as for the mystery.. that was just really clever. I thought I had everything figured out then another piece of evidence would turn up, or something else would be uncovered and I would change my mind, still completely sure I had it right. I didn't. This story led me on a merry chase and I loved that things were never as straight forward as they seemed. I love a book that throws surprises my way and always keeps me guessing, and When definitely delivered on that front!

When is a really compelling read. Victoria Laurie did a fantastic job of crafting an emotional, page-turning read, with a thrilling mystery plot that always kept me guessing. This is a great read for mystery lovers, and for anyone who enjoys compelling YA stories!

4.5/5 Whales

6 comments:

  1. Good review. Sounds like a good mystery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard about this book before, but the blurd and your review made me curious >.<

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have this book on my Kindle, but I have been so hesitant to read it even though the synopsis definitely intrigued me. I am glad that I read your review, because I think it helped me lose some of my hesitancy. Thank you, and I am going to go give When a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one that I saw listed, and I kind of like the cover, but not sure if I want to read it. Your review makes me think again about adding it to my TBR list, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh, I saw parts of an anime once where the character had the exact same ability. Can't remember the name now though. I liked the episode, so maybe I'll have to give this book a try, based on your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like the idea of this book but I am not sure I will be able to actually read it! The thing is that there is a book called Numbers by Rachel Ward and it is pretty much the same idea. I am sure they go about it in different ways, but the seeing death dates/feeling others death is the same, and that's too similar for me (especially as I love the other book!)

    ReplyDelete