Thursday, 14 May 2015

Stolen Art by Ruth Silver - Review

Stolen Art by Ruth Silver

Stolen ArtTitle: Stolen Art

Series: N/A

Author: Ruth Silver

Published: 28th April 2015 by Lazy Day Publishing

Source: E-copy from the author for my honest review



Synopsis:

Sixteen-year-old Madeline has been living on the streets, biding her time until she's eighteen. With little to no money, she takes on a heist in hopes of making ends meet. What could possibly go wrong?

Everything.

Getting caught is just the beginning of Madeline's adventure as she meets Weston and discovers the secret of where she came from.

Fans of Orphan Black, The X-Files, and Fringe will fall head over heels for STOLEN ART.

Recommended: 15+




My Review

I really loved the idea for this book. I love sci-fi and the TV shows mentioned in the synopsis (Orphan Black, The X-Files, and Fringe) are some of my favourite TV shows! I could really feel the influence of those sci-fi shows (in a good way and I thought the plot of Stolen Art was really intriguing but I felt that the pacing was a bit off which unfortunately meant I couldn't connect with this book properly.

The idea for this book is excellent and I loved what the author was trying to create but I felt that everything moved a bit too quickly. This book jumped from one action point to the other and while this isn't necessarily a bad thing, I felt that this particular story would've been aided by a more in-depth story. I would've like a slower pace and a longer story with more scenes that, while not necessarily adding to the main plot, gave more of an insight into the characters and their situations.

One of the main things that 'niggled' at me was how quickly and easily everyone accepted the clone theory. If someone told me I was a clone I think I'd need a lot of concrete proof before I believed them, and I felt the lack of questioning/dismissing of the theory was a little unrealistic. The quick acceptance fit with the fast-pace of the book but I think a bit more resistance would've given this story a bit more oomph.

Overall the plot was good and interesting but I think the story needed a bit more fleshing out to really show all its potential. If you're looking for a quick, sci-fi read (with clones!) or your a fan of Ruth Silver, I'd recommend giving this book ago. Unfortunately I just felt it needed a bit more work before I'd really enjoy the story, still a bit of fun though.

3/5 Whales

 

No comments:

Post a Comment